Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs)
The goal of speech therapy with individuals on the autism spectrum is to improve all aspects ofcommunication. This includes: comprehension, expression, sound production, and social use oflanguage. A speech-language pathologist may work on a wide range of skills including:
- Speech problems: articulation errors, Apraxia (trouble saying what he or she wants to say correctly and consistently), Dysarthria (problems with the muscles that help you talk).
- Language disorders: language delays, Aphasia (affects the expression and understanding of language as well as reading and writing).
- Non-verbal communication: teaching the use of gestural communication, sign language, picture symbols, electronic talking devices, and other non-verbal communication tools.
- Speech pragmatics: developing an understanding of what to say, how to say it, when to say it, and how to "be" with other people (i.e. not interrupting, following the topic of a conversation, body language, etc.).
- Conversation skills: teaching back-and-forth exchange (i.e. joint attention).
- Concept skills: developing comprehension of abstract concepts (i.e. few, justice, peace, etc.).
A speech-language pathologist's role is critical in supporting the individual and the communication partner to maximise opportunities for interaction. Ideally, a speech therapyprogramme is tailored to the specific challenges and the environment of the individual.
Speech-Language Pathologists in Bermuda
There are several different ways to access services:
- Department of Health (Government of Bermuda): Child Development Programme (0 to 4 years), schools
- Hospital (Bermuda Hospitals Board): King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Rehabilitation Day Hospital, Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute
- Private Practice
The Bermuda Speech Language and Audiology Association (BerSLA) website lists all Speech-Language Pathologists in Bermuda.
Online Service Providers
Engaging and motivating online speech therapy for school-aged children and adults
Online Speech Therapy
Online speech and language services that blend cutting-edge technology with highly-skilled speech and language experts.